Project Blueprint - Preparing TODAY, Leading Tomorrow
Project Blueprint is a blueprint for diversity in board leadership.
It's a reality that non-profit boards lack diversity. Less than 23% of U.S. non-profit board members are people of color. United Way Project Blueprint works to change that reality for Midland.
- United Way Project Blueprint Goal: Build and train tomorrow's non profit board leadership, ensuring that Midland's non-profit sector reflects the rich diversity of our community.
- Strategy: To broaden Midland's non-profit board diversity through Leadership Skills, Teambuilding, Board Connection, Mentoring, expanded opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and connect Project Blueprint graduates with a non-profit board for committee opportunities.
What is United Way Project Blueprint?
This unique program is a professional development course targeting future community leaders. The program prepares diverse groups of individuals for volunteer service in the non-profit sector.
Class topics include: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI), Non-Profit 101, Strategic Planning, Board Governance and Fiduciary Responsibilities, Resource Development, Financial Management, Event Set-up & Etiquette, and Transparency for Nonprofit Boards.
Through this program, participants will:
- Develop and sharpen volunteer leadership skills
- Be paired with a mentor/community leader to guide them through the program and connect and network with community leaders and agencies
- Learn about board governance and procedures
- Gain a deeper awareness of challenges in our community
- Discover opportunities for board or committee placement
To be a Blueprint Scholar, one should:
- Demonstrate community involvement
- Display leadership ability
- Represent Midland's diverse communities
To be a Blueprint Mentor, one should:
- Be involved in the community
- Currently or previously have served on a local, state, or national board
- Be willing to:
- Work with a Blueprint Scholar(s) by providing guidance, advice, and feedback
- Serve as the Blueprint Scholar(s) role model, counselor, advisor, sponsor, and advocate
- Help the Blueprint Scholar(s) achieve their goals to become a better version of themselves
Click here for Mentor and Scholar expectations.
Applications for the 2023/2024 cohort are now open through August 31st, 2023.
- Project Blueprint Mentor Application: Click here.
- Project Blueprint Scholar Application: Click here.
Scheduling: The group meets regularly on the 2nd Thursday of the month, September - May (excluding December) for Leadership training and mentor sessions, starting with a Kick-off Retreat in September and culminating in graduation in May.
Project Blueprint 2023/24 Curriculum and Schedule (Note: Dates / Times may change)
- Blueprint Scholar and Mentor Applications Open: August 4, 2023
- Blueprint Scholar and Mentor Applications Close: August 31, 2023
- Project Blueprint 2023/24 Class Announced: September 8, 2023
- Project Blueprint Kick-Off Retreat (Non-Profit 101& Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)): September 23, 20233 (9 am – 1:30 pm)
- Training Sessions:
- October 12, 2023 (6 – 8 pm) - Strategic Planning & More
- November 9, 2023 (6 – 8 pm) - Governance & Fiduciary Responsibilities of Nonprofit Boards
- January 11, 2024 (6 – 8 pm) - Board’s Role in Resource Development
- February 8, 2024 (6 – 8 pm) - Financial Management and Transparency for Nonprofit Boards
- March 7, 2024 (6 – 8 pm) - Set-up & Etiquette Training (Optional)
- April 11, 2024 (11:30 am – 1:30 pm) - Board Fair / Nonprofit Networking (Mandatory)
- May 9, 2024 (5:30 pm – 7:30 pm) - Project Blueprint Graduation
Cost: The fee for Project Blueprint is $25 (one-time payment). This amount includes all materials, learning sessions, and mentoring sessions for the program. We ask that each participant contribute a nominal fee on or before the day of the Kick-off Retreat. (We accept cash, or you can give an online donation at www.uwmidland.org). Note: The fee is liable to change in 202.
Questions: Email email@example.com or call 432-685-7710 for more information.