An Initiative is a Collaborative effort with 3 or more partners that addresses an identified United Way of Midland Community outcome in one of the three Focus Areas: education, self-sufficiency and health.
The United Way of Midland has collaborated with area agencies for the past eight years in a Summer Reading Program called Club Read. Club Read is offered through agencies that work with low-income / high-risk children. Club Read began in 2013 to keep children engaged, reading during the summer, and preventing summer slide.
In the summer of 2022, the United Way of Midland collaborated with the Boys and Girls Club of Midland, Casa De Amigos, and Opportunity Tribe - Fun Academy. Nearly 2,000 new books were ordered and delivered to 260 children participating in the summer reading programs. The United Way of Midland is delighted with the collaboration we have enjoyed throughout the years, most notably for its results.
In 2022 the United Way of Midland hosted the first ever all group End of Summer Club Read Summer Celebration. The event included a magic show by Harlin, a visit from El Super Lector, dancing with The River Fine Arts, lunch proved by Domino’s Pizza, cotton candy provided by Complex Community Federal Credit Union, Italian Ice provided by Bernie’s Italian Ice, and door prizes (included 2 bikes donated by Triple A & J Collision). Each 2022 Club Read participant went home with a new backpack full of school supplies. The event was emceed by Taneekwa Hurdle (Midland College) and Ed Mayberry (Pastor / Community Worship Center), and door prizes were announced by Alison King, from the Warren Foundation.
- 260 – Youth Club Read Participants (Includes 3 agency programs)
- 47 – Volunteers (Includes 3 agency programs)
- 1640 – Total Volunteer Hours (Include 3 agency programs)
- 65% of the 136 Club Read youth took a pre and post-test (assessment).
- 92% of the 136 Club Read / Fun Academy youth who completed the pre and post-test assessment maintained or improved their grade-level reading scores.
- 3,989 - Hours of total read time for Club Read/Fun Academy Youth
- 15.3 - Average hours of reading time per youth (June- August)